This article is about Digital Marketing
SEO as a Career Option in India – Why to choose it?
By NIIT Editorial
Published on 21/12/2020
Search Engine Optimization, aka SEO, is a crucial part of Digital Marketing. Lately, it has emerged as one of the most sought-after jobs in India. Today, all kinds of businesses and organizations are engaging in SEO activities to get better a ranking on Google and amp up their website’s presence.
In this article, we will be discussing the future scope of SEO. Some of the points which will be elaborated upon are:
- Reasons to choose SEO as your career
- The expected skillset of an SEO professional today
- Salaries of SEO professionals
SEO opportunities and jobs
Why should you choose SEO as your career?
Digital marketing is a booming field to build your career in. It is a vast ocean which includes a plethora of online activities such as Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Social Media Marketing (SMM), and more. Here are some of the reasons why SEO can be chosen as a career option.
- Increasing demand for SEO services in the market: Since many companies are leaning towards having their online presence, the need for SEO services and SEO experts is on the rise.
- Monetary appreciation in jobs: Today, the role of an SEO analyst/specialist is one of the highest paid ones in the field of digital marketing. This is followed by Social Media Expert/Specialists, Ad campaign manager, and e-mail marketing specialist.
- The flexibility of working: Unlike many jobs, to make a career in SEO you don’t have to stick to a brick-and-mortar setup. You can work from anywhere and at any time, all you need is a laptop and a good internet connection.
- Scope of SEO experts abroad: If you understand SEO well, fetching a job abroad is pretty straightforward. All you need is a strong technical knowledge of SEO and good work experience.
- Future scope for SEO: SEM is the paid part of digital marketing, whereas SEO is unpaid. It is also known as ‘earned media’. Many start-ups and small businesses may not have enough finances for paid marketing and, therefore, tend to opt for SEO techniques to promote their business online.
What are the skills required for an SEO professional?
Many factors determine the effectiveness of an SEO campaign, but the success of each campaign depends on the person calling the shots. As an SEO professional, a part of your job will entail setting goals, leading team members, performing research, and accomplishing a ton of miscellaneous tasks. To ensure you take on these responsibilities efficiently, here are some of the crucial skills required for SEO professionals.
- Skill 1: Research:
First in this SEO skills list is research, as you will be doing quite a bit of it. The research will help you formulate a strategy which will impact your client website’s ranking on Google. SEO research also entails keeping up with the latest news about search engine technology. This helps in strategising and running tactics to see their possible effect on your campaign. Hence, the faster and more efficiently you research, the better.
- Skill 2: Analysis:
Perhaps the most critical skill. It is said that you cannot run a successful campaign unless you have excellent analytical ability. As an SEO professional, you are required to analyse all the data available and fetch the information most relevant for your campaign.
- Skill 3: Coding basics:
A crucial part of SEO, you will need a basic understanding of coding. Having sound knowledge of coding basics will help you understand the source code of a given website. Today, CMS systems are designed to offer basic SEO functionality and help you alter website coding efficiently.
- Skill 4: Learning speed:
Fourth on this SEO skills list is your learning speed. It is crucial that you pick up the basics and keep yourself updated with the latest developments in the field. When it comes to SEO, there is always new information emerging within the field. If you are a fast learner, you will be able to acquaint yourself with different platforms and tools which will help you get the job done efficiently.
What is the salary of an SEO professional?
SEO professionals’ salary varies according to the designation. Below we have listed SEO posts and the average monthly salary in India:
How to find the best SEO jobs?
You can find SEO job opportunities in any of the leading Digital Advertising agencies. There are also SEO-centric agencies across the country hiring freshers and professionals.
Today, the market has a great demand for SEO professionals. Many management institutions offer SEO-centric certificate courses. We at NIIT offer SEO, SEM and Google Courses which are designed to help you gain expertise and learn the nuances of SEO.
Post Graduate Programme in Digital Marketing and Branding
An Online programme for Graduates to get them skilled for rewarding careers in the Digital Marketing Industry.
400+ hours of Online Learning
Mapped to FB & Google Certifications