Main navigation

Menu
Add To Bookmark

How to get a Job in Virtual Reality


By NIIT Editorial

Published on 17/03/2021

6 minutes

The Virtual Reality industry is breaking out at astonishing speeds. Until recently VR was considered literally out of reach for many but following the pandemic developments of last year, and the coinciding rollout of 5G telecommunication networks around the globe, virtual reality is set to gain big time. Sources suggest a total of 6 million VR headset sales to be expected in 2021. Gaming which forms an integral revenue contributor to VR is expected to create $1.4 billion in value. 

 

On the broader level, the virtual reality industry is projected to be valued at $4.8 billion by the end of 2021. But enough with the sensationalization. Let us come to the pressing issue of, how can job seekers make the most of this opportunity. In other words, how to find a job in the VR marketplace. Let us find out!  

 

Skill Development 

 

Digital businesses are exploring the prospect of launching their VR products. Facebook for instance made quite a hype while acquiring Oculus Rift in 2012 and has since then seen made progressive releases. But at the same time, the product failed to deliver the kind of numbers expected out of it. The company revealed it made $100 million in revenue through content sales on the Oculus VR in 2020, which though in itself is huge but about the company’s total revenue, tiny. 

 

Businesses need professionals who can come up with fail-proof VR solutions to bet on this immersive technology. If you are interested in this field, you need an intermix of specializations that include 3D modeling, graphics programming, and software development. Speaking of which, programming know-how of C/C++, Java, HTML5, CSS, and Python would be incredibly helpful. 

 

Optics is a branch that is directly related to virtually realistic visualization. Software engineers with the capability to improve the hardware form factor at the same time maximizing wearable device battery life will see demand soar in the industry.  

 

Market Overview 

 

Sony, Oculus (Facebook), Microsoft, and HTC are the leading companies that together own about 80% of the market share. The rest 20% is up for grabs for miscellaneous small-time or emerging startups. When it comes to job opportunities the vacancies could be lopsided. Established brands attract the creme de la creme of talent but that does not mean smaller-scale companies won’t pay a premium for competent individuals. Keep an eye out for both. Industries such as the automotive, healthcare, retail, and gaming will most likely offer greater scope for VR in the coming years. 

 

Network 

 

It is always good to know the right people at the right time. Professional networks such as LinkedIn should be used to connect and build rapport with personnel from the VR industry. This includes recruiters working at top employers to developers sharing the same KRA as you. Provided you have a flair for writing, blogging is one exercise that can be explored. Sharing your take on platforms like Medium and Steemit positions you in the limelight and over time creates your image as an influencer. You can repost the articles on LinkedIn and share them on other social platforms as well. 



Game Development Course

Becoming a Game Developer: A Course for Programmers. Design and Build Your Own Game using Unity.

Job Placement Assistance

Course duration: 20 weeks

Top