This article is about 5G
A Pocket-Guide on How to Partner with 5G Vendors
By NIIT Editorial
Published on 10/11/2020
5G is in the air. Literally. Tower installations are exploding through the ceiling with smartphone manufacturers racing to introduce 5G capabilities in phones. By the looks of it, by 2024, it is predicted that 5G subscriptions would hit the 1 billion mark in 2024.
The first installments of 5G deployments are up and running on 5G new radio (NR) non-standalone (NSA). But so communication service providers can get the maximum out of 5G services, the shift towards 5G NR standalone would have to be accomplished. One wrong move at this stage could spell misfortune for CSPs, at the same time partnering with a befitting vendor could help consolidate the chances of a successful 5G rollout. Here are the top pointers CSPs must stay vary of in course of choosing their 5G partner.
- Planning is mission-critical. The 5G NR NSA aims at face-lifting the radio access and network lines to clear any hindrance causing unwarranted congestion. Due to this the transmission speeds automatically get multiplied many times over. At the same time, 5G NR SA offers customizable alternatives for monetizing network latency vis-à-vis network slicing. So to make a hassle-free transition onto 5G NR SA, the core network needs upending with edge computing coming into the fray. In choosing a 5G vendor, you must ensure that the same offers best of breed expertise in all 5 domains connected to 5G, namely networking, network slicing, distributed cloud, cybersecurity, and industrial automation.
- NSA installations tend to augment LTE (Long Term Evolution wireless broadband) and 5G NR. Therefore, the better the LTE capability of your 5G vendor, the better.
- Thirdly, the telecom industry is prone to changes. Overnight, the CSP requirements can alter from low to mid and high-frequency bands for their 5G spectrum. It is a given that CSPs inching towards a 5G overhaul, have had prior stints with 2G, 3G, and 4G deployment. The question you need to ask is whether the vendor can implement Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS) to recycle the infrastructural assets from past deployments, or not!
- Fourthly, what additional, if any, conditions formulate the service offering? For instance, wireless internet will be installed both indoors and outdoors. A validated small cell network will extend coverage indoors, while you’d need a CloudRAN to support unexpected spikes in demand. Reputed 5G vendors have established global centres for radio frequency testing and cloud operations.
- Lastly, and probably the most important of all, the cybersecurity backend should be one that is hitherto impenetrable. 5G enterprise reputation will be one built on digital trust, the straw that is enough to break the proverbial back of the business.
While you seriously calculate the chances of success with a prospective vendor, do give a thought or two to your in-house workforce that would regularly liaise or be deeply entrenched in making decisions enveloping around this still-nascent technology.
The Nokia-Bell Labs 5G Certification is designed to take nominal IT associates and turn them into able individual contributors with end-to-end know-how of 5G technology. This certification can benefit both aspiring professionals as well as enterprise-wide credentialing drives. Find out more about Nokia Bell Labs End-to-End 5G Certification Programme.
5G Certification Programme by Nokia Bell Labs and NIIT
Be a Pioneer and lead the 5G Revolution. Join the 5G Foundation Certification Programme offered by Nokia Bell Labs and NIIT, and guide businesses into the new world of next generation wireless technology
Nokia Bell Labs’ Global Certification